In the current fight to defund Obamacare, the President and his supporters are fond of saying that “Obamacare is the Law of the land”. Based on this bumper sticker argument they seek to have all opposition to this program stopped and for all hands on deck to implement it and fund it. However the President ignores the fact that there are other “laws of the land” in effect that apply to the funding of Obamacare, other laws that the President ignores when it is convenient and historical precedents for Congress to defund dangerous government actions.
First, remember that there is a large law that supersedes all acts of Congress: the U.S. Constitution. The Constitution grants to CONGRESS the power of appropriating funding for programs. Thus it is entirely within the purview of the “law of the land” to not fund a bad Congressional act that the representative of the American people deem dangerous. That is why the founders created a divided government in the first place: to prevent one branch or one powerful leader from abusing their authority. Our government was not constructed as an instrument of active power to grant benefits to the American people. Our government was constructed as an instrument with limited power to prevent it from abusing the natural rights of individual Americans. Thus it is appropriate that a majority in Congress exercise their Constitutional authority (the”law of the land”) to not appropriate money to Obamacare. This is similar to the actions of Congress to defund the Vietnam War in 1973. Certainly, it would be appropriate for Congress to defund Obamacare now before its rationing programs cause the premature deaths and extended suffering of tens of thousands of Americans rather than to wait for nearly a decade as was done with the Viet Nam War where 50,000 Americans were killed and hundreds of thousands wounded on our side only.
Finally, what laws has Obama blatantly ignored? He can’t tout that Obamacare should be supported as “the law of the land” when he so frequently chooses to ignore so many other laws of the lands. Here is the SHORT list of laws that President Obama ignores. Please feel free to add more through the comments section.
- The Debt Ceiling – The President ignores the law that says Congress should not incur more than a certain level of debt and demands Congress to ignore this “law of the land” by taking Congressional action to alter it.
- Right to Trial (drone strikes) – the President has executed American citizens without trial by drone strike.
- Freedom from NSA Searches – the President monitors phone and email traffic of Americans without probable cause or a search warrant.
- War on Libya – the President launched hundreds of Cruise missles at Libya without an act of war by Congress and without reporting to Congress within deadlines under the War Powers Act.
- Gun Running (Fast &Furious) – the President put dangerous military style weapons into the hands of Mexican drug lords in a failed sting that killed two American border gaurds.
- Border Security –the President is issuing executive orders to allow illegal immigrants to stay in America.
Finally there is an even bigger set of laws that the President and big government types ignore: The Ten Commandments.
Most pertinent are:
1. You shall have no gods before me. For progressives, government is their “god” and they put it before God every day. They elevate themselves above God and therefore think they can elevate themselves above other men.
6. Thous shall not kill – see above on wars started and executions of Americans by drone without trial.
8. Thou shall not steal – the govenrment steals from one group of people all the time to “redistribute the wealth”.