Here are the concrete steps you can take to help the AMA publicly oppose government of funding Planned Parenthood.
Do as many as you can.
- Go to Atlanta. Testify at Reference committee in person in Atlanta. Prepare about a 3 minute statement on the topic explain why you think Planned Parenthood should not receive government funds (see tips/talking points below). Go to Reference Committee “B” on 11/15 at 8:30 in a.m. at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis in Marquis Ballroom B. Atlanta Marriott Marquis 265 Peachtree Center Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30303.
- Lobby an AMA delegate. If you are a physician, contact a delegate to the AMA House of Delegates from your state or specialty society by email and/or phone.
- Login to the AMA delegate Search page to find them (You will need your AMA password – AMA members only) – or-
- Contact email@example.com with subject line “AMA delegate lookup”. Indicate your state or specialty society in the message and a list of delegates will be sent to you. (physicians only please for this request).
- Online AMA Forum. If you are an AMA member, post Comments on the AMA HOD Online discussion web forum. Go to Reference committee B – Resolution 220.
- Society Support. Get your medical society to write a letter to the AMA. Dr. McKalip will present that at the reference committee in Atlanta if you can’t do it yourself (just email a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Spread the Word. Get other doctors, patient groups or advocacy groups to support this effort with similar activity. Send them to the resolution page online.
Talking points/Testimony help.
- Try to focus your testimony on why the government should not fund planned parenthood
- Certainly discuss freely the evil of abortion, but the main goal is to get a “yes” vote on ending Government funding of Planned Parenthood.
- Mention one or two points/facts from the resolution preamble (the “whereas” clauses – full resolution below).
- Tell your stories or present other scientific information or clinical experience vignettes that illustrate the dangers of abortion especially as provided through Planned Parenthood.
- Try to speak only once. You will be allowed to speak again but after all others have spoken once.
- Write down the key points that must be made in advance and make those first.
- Remember you are giving ammunition to the members of the reference committee who may be sympathetic to use during their later deliberations as they form their report to the full House. So address them and seek to inform/persuade them far more than persuading all those in the room at the hearing.
- If you testify online at the forum, try to rebut arguments made in favor of Planned Parenthood.
- Searching the AMA policy finder to look for other helpful precedents may be useful.
The AMA House of Delegates will consider and debate policy to end all government funding to Planned Parenthood. Dr. David McKalip, a delegate to the AMA HOD from Florida, will present the resolution at the meeting in Atlanta. Dr. McKalip is also a member of the Catholic Medical Association and serves on its Health Policy Committee.
The AMA HOD is generally supportive of funding for Planned Parenthood and abortion overall. At this point, it is most likely that the HOD will vote the proposal down, but presentation there will serve many purposes. Some AMA delegates/doctors who have never had an opportunity to debate this matter will see their first real chance in at least a decade. This may soften the heart of many doctors to consider that millions of babies have had their deaths induced in utero this century. In addition, the debate presents an opportunity for Americans to see the stance of the AMA on the issue of Planned Parenthood and abortion and further consider whether government funding is appropriate.
If the AMA delegates/doctors hear from doctors and other across the nation they may change their vote. If you are an AMA member, you will have the most influence. But even if you are a doctor but not an AMA member, your voice will have influence over the delegates (especially if AMA positions on abortion have influenced your choice to be an AMA member). They need to feel confident that they are voting as their physician constituents would want. They will never know who opposes government funding of Planned Parenthood if they don’t hear from doctors before they vote.
Those wanting to influence the outcome can also come to the AMA meeting in Atlanta. All can testify at the Reference committee, the assigned group that will prepare a report and recommendations to the full AMA House of Delegates. Testimony can be delivered there on Sunday morning 11/15. The final debate on the resolution will occur either on 11/16 or 11/17 and only delegates to the AMA House of Delegates can participate in that debate.
Thanks to all for any support and God bless you! Call David McKalip, M.D. at 727-822-3500 or email at email@example.com for more information.
Defund Planned Parenthood
Author: David McKalip, M.D.
Whereas Planned Parenthood is the leading perpetrator of induced intrauterine death of babies (abortion) in America (327,653 in 2013-14 out of 732,220 MMWR last report ‘11) [a] ; and
Whereas Planned Parenthood (officially the “Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Inc.”) is a tax-exempt business receiving over half a billion dollars annually from U.S. Taxpayers[b]; and
Whereas Planned Parenthood has been shown, in un-doctored, unedited videos, to actively alter abortion techniques to allow harvesting of organs from babies and earns an income from these human baby body parts[c]; and
Whereas Planned Parenthood has been shown to engage in practices to support child sex trafficking by offering abortions, contraception and STD treatment to cover up these activities[d]; and
Whereas Planned Parenthood still gives an award in the name of Margaret Sanger who supported racist policies and eugenics stating[e]: “We do not want word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population” and described immigrants and the poor as “human weeds,’ ‘reckless breeders,’ ‘spawning… human beings who never should have been born”; and
Whereas Planned Parenthood contributes to overall racial health disparities: 78% of Planned Parenthood clinics are located in low income and minority neighborhoods. Black abortion rates outstrip black birthrates in New York City and black babies are killed in the womb 3-4x more often than white babies[f]; and
Whereas Planned Parenthood supporters deceptively claim that the organization provides mammograms when it does not[g]; and
Whereas Planned Parenthood claims their primary mission is to provide “women’s health services” such as contraception, PAP Smears and STD treatment while their true business model is providing as many abortions as possible[h]; Claims of 3% of services being abortion are based on counting multiple services to one patient and other means of statistical manipulation like unbundling a single birth control prescription into 12 visits and bundling all abortion visits into one[i]; and
Whereas Planned Parenthood lists $1 billion in assets and can still earn excess revenue from its services without federal funds; and
Whereas contraception, STD treatment, PAP smears and true women’s health services are now easy to obtain outside Planned Parenthood through federally funded community health clinics, and through expanded health coverage provided by Obamacare and in other ways; therefore be it
Resolved that the American Medical Association actively support legislation to immediately end federal and state funding of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Inc.
[i] http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/politics/153699-exposing-the-planned-parenthood-business-model and https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/wp/2015/08/12/for-planned-parenthood-abortion-stats-3-percent-and-94-percent-are-both-misleading/